Last month, it was uncovered that Rep. Thomas Kean (R-NJ) had missed more than 50 roll call votes.
Scoop: Rep. Tom Kean told me this afternoon that his health prognosis is good, that he’ll return to Washington for votes within the next few weeks, and that he’s running for re-election. He promised full transparency on his illness soon.
Speaker Johnson told ABC News that Rep. Kean is dealing with personal health matters.
“I was satisfied to speak to Tom Kean, Jr. This afternoon by phone. He is attending to a personal health matter and expects to be back to 100% very soon,” Johnson told ABC News last month.
“Tom is one of the most dedicated and hardest-working Members of Congress, and I am grateful for all he does and will continue to do to serve New Jerseyans and our country,” Johnson remarked.
Tom Kean eventually broke his silence and thanked his constituents for their patience as he addressed his personal medical issue.
Rep. Kean is still absent and has not voted since March 5.
The lawmaker told the New Jersey Globe that he expects to return to a full schedule in the next few weeks.
Thomas Kean Jr. (R-Westfield) told the New Jersey Globe that he is nearing a return to work and intends to discuss publicly the health issue that has sidelined him since March. He also acknowledged that he will seek re-election to a third term this year.
Kean, 57, stated his prognosis is positive, with no expected long-term effects or chronic health complications. He said his medical issue would not affect his cognitive health.
“I anticipate that in the next couple of weeks, I’ll return to voting and to the campaign trail,” Kean stated.
In the meantime, the two-term Republican lawmaker stated he is in daily touch with his congressional office and monitoring issues facing Congress and his district.







